WANT SOMETHING FUN?

Subscribe here to receive your FREE PDF describing 5 Ways to Immediately Make Your Spaces More Welcoming. They REALLY work!

You will also receive my monthly newsletter including DIY Project Ideas, Recipes, Mommy Insights, Home Styling Tips, and other delightful tidbits.

Painting Granite and other Design Hacks

Necessity is the mother of invention, but I would venture to guess most interior designers swear a Completed Room is the mother of Design Hacks.

Our Office Makeover was no exception.

I undertook two unintentional hacks in our office which fell outside the original Design Plan. It always amazes me when I’m ready to be finished with a space but am short on time and resources how my mind will expand in unconventional ways to devise functional solutions.

It’s part of the mental challenges I love about interior design.

In our Office Makeover, one of my plans was to paint the existing desktop to resemble weathered wood. In fact, here’s a little tutorial showing just how I pulled that off.

The desktop was easy. But I struggled with another existing element in the room: The adjoining granite countertop.

Replace it? Leave it as is? Paint it? It was a decision over which I struggled right up until the last few days of this room completion.

Finally, Fireman’s insistence to paint it to match the desktop prevailed. It was decided: Painting wins again!

Now, I’ll say here that if this were a granite countertop in our kitchen which endured banging pots, daily wipe-downs, colorful spills, math homework, and general mayhem each and every day, I would NOT go this route. However, for a tiny bit of countertop whose primary job is to hold up a printer, it was an economically feasible, hassle-free solution.

Side note: If you’re REALLY interested in painting your granite, check out the kitchen counter transformation at this site which the owner claims held up for more than a YEAR.

After reading online about prepping granite for paint, I tried scuffing the shiny surface with steel wool. It didn’t seem to make a lick of difference. So I resorted to my tried-and-true Skil mouse sander and that seemed to do the trick. All I needed to do was knock down the shine and give the surface some “tooth” for the primer to adhere.

After wiping down the now-scuffed surface with a microfiber rag to remove all the dust, I primed with Kilz primer.

I let the primer dry the recommended amount of time, then painted two coats of Annie Sloan Chalkpaint in Linen with adequate dry time between coats.

I then followed my dry brush technique using white, tan, and black paint (see tutorial above) and randomly painted over the entire surface. I followed up with two coats of Minwax Polycrylic sealer in Satin.

And it was finished.

Once again, painting ended up being a good choice.

Another hack I performed in here was the artwork. I absolutely loved these frames from Walmart, but could not for the life of me find 11×14 botanical artwork, landscape orientation, within the time frame I needed.

Enter….faux botanicals from my decor closet!

Random fern stem for representation purposed only 🙂

With a few quick snips of my wire cutter and some tricky bending and shaping of the stems and leaves, I gently squished one faux branch behind each frame’s glass and viola! Instant botanical art.

It’s certainly not a forever solution, but for now, it’s enough for me to declare “Finished!” and turn my attention to other things.

Blessings on your week!

Jaimee

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

↑ Top of Page